The challenging field of offshore energy is highly multidisciplinary. Sharing a common language enables people from different backgrounds to achieve great engineering results. In this three-day course participants will gain insight into the future of the offshore energy industry in the North Sea. Participants will learn why and how potential collaboration between and among sectors and countries could increase efficiency and effectiveness of the North West European transition process. A number of experienced guest lecturers will address the future of both renewable energy and energy from fossil fuels.
This course and its material are written and given entirely in English, however if all participants are Dutch, it is possible to give the lectures in Dutch.
- Gain insight into the future energy flows for both renewables and oil and gas
- Be able to explain the system integration technologies and their distinctive characteristics
- Recognise new business models and regulatory challenges for exiting platforms for the North Sea Area
- Become aware of the opportunities and challenges for international North Sea Cooperation
The Masterclass North Sea energy is highly recommended for individuals working along the energy value chain (as in the gas industry and in the electricity sector), for example:
- New business developers;
- (Offshore) producers of natural gas and wind energy;
- Transmission system operators;
- Business and energy analysts;
- Technologists and engineers;
- Policy makers, regulators and NGO’s;
- Researchers and energy consultants;
- Maritime and spatial planners.
- Dr. Ed Dammers, Senior scientific researcher Policy evaluation and foresight studies at Planbureau voor de leefomgeving
- Dr. Joris Koornneef – Senior Strategy consultant at TNO
- Niels Diepeveen, project manager at DOT and teacher at DOB-academy
- Thijs Kamphuis, project engineer at DOT and teacher at DOB-academy
- Rob Atkinson, project Engineer at DOT and teacher at DOB-Academy
- Nico Buytendijk, programma manager at Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO)Prof.
- Martha Roggenkamp, professor of Energy Law and director of the Groningen Centre of Energy Law at the Faculty of Law
- Giles Dickson, Chief Executive Officer of Euopean Wind Energy Association (EWEA)
- Catrinus Jepma, professor of Energy and Sustainability at the University of Groningen.
Day 1 (from 09:00 to 13:00 hrs)
The morning of the first day is dedicated to gaining insight into the current situation of offshore energy in the North Sea, considering the history of energy production. A game of Colonists of the North Sea is also part of the programme. After the lunch, the lectures will focus on the challenges of North Sea Energy, such as ecological and legal aspects, grid stability and co-users of the North Sea. In the evening there will be a dinner and social event.
Day 2 (from 09:00 to 13:15 hrs)
On the second day, the production of offshore energy is the main topic during the morning. To make things less abstract, participants will build their own rotor. In the afternoon, offshore structures will be discussed as well as the transportation of energy. The day will close with a peek into future technologies.
Day 3 (from 13:00 to 16:15 hrs)
The third day will focus on cooperation between actors in the North Sea area. In the morning, some inspiring examples will be explained as well as the basics of system integration. The afternoon is dedicated to a case study on this topic and the course will come to an end with drinks.
Day 4 (from 09:00 to 12:00 hrs)
The final day will focus on cooperation between actors in the North Sea area. Some inspiring examples will be demonstrated as well as the basics of system integration. This will include strategic cooperation and integration of the different energy systems; the joint development of an offshore e-grid and the interconnected international offshore windfarms. The main goal is to give a heads-up on the decarbonization requirements of the whole energy system with the climate goals in mind.
Date & Time
The online Masterclass North Sea Energy will be available via live streaming.
For more information please contact Hendrik Goos at Hendrik@DOB-Academy.nl or +31 6 25 03 12 48
This course is created in cooperation with Energy Delta Institute.