Optimise foundation systems: from design to implementation
The offshore wind sector is skyrocketing worldwide, with a steady trend towards installations in deeper waters and harsher environments. This course addresses one of the main challenges posed by such a trend: the optimisation of foundation systems.
The course covers geotechnical knowledge relevant to the design of wind turbine foundations, with focus on large-diameter monopiles. Core contents include soil behaviour and site characterisation, monopile installation and performance during operations (lateral capacity, stiffness, cyclic response, scour protection).
Geotechnical concepts and design approaches are linked to the engineering of wind turbine structures, with an open window on the latest R&D developments made in Delft (Delft University of Technology and Deltares). Each day includes practical sessions and offers room for lively interaction between lecturers and attendees.
This course and its material are written and given entirely in English.
By the end of the course, attendees will be able to:
- Recognise pros and cons of different foundation systems for offshore wind turbines;
- Describe site selection drivers and strategies for site/laboratory soil characterisation;
- Identify site conditions (un)favourable to monopile installation (driveability analysis);
- Estimate lateral capacity/stiffness of monopiles;
- Understand the implications of environmental cyclic loading on the operational performance of monopiles;
- Link foundation response to wind turbine performance;
- Describe the mechanisms of seabed scour around monopiles and common countermeasures (scour protection).
This course is meant for a wide range of professionals involved in the design, construction and management of offshore wind farms. Participants with a background in engineering – not limited to geotechnical – will make the most of this course in which fundamental understanding and practical application are equally prioritised.
CONTACT AND ENROLLMENT
For more information please contact Thijs Kamphuis at Thijs@DOB-Academy.nl or +31 6 48 76 06 84.
If you want to enroll, please visit this link.